By Shawn Scott Smith| May 25, 2012 | Comments Off on 5 more 2013 dates.
April 5th-7th, 2013
A and G Cinncinatti, OH
April 19th-21st, 2013
Jordancon/ Deepsouthcon 51 Atlanta, GA
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 24, 2012 | Comments Off on JORDANCON ANNOUNCES TWO NEW GUESTS FOR 2013
ROSWELL, GA—JordanCon, a literary fantasy convention held near Atlanta, GA is excited to announce to special two guests for 2013: award-winning author Seanan McGuire and renowned artist Michael Whelan.
Seanan McGuire is the author of two on-going urban fantasies—October Daye and InCryptid, both from DAW books—as well as the series Newsflesh, from Orbit books, which she writes under the pen name Mira Grant. She won the 2010 John W. Campbell
Award for Best New Writer, and in 2012, became first woman ever to be nominated for four Hugo Awards on a single ballot. Read more
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 24, 2012 | Comments Off on Florida Anime Schedule
Green Mustard sent along this weekends Florida Anime Schedule. Looks good.
Florida Anime Experience 2012 is this weekend! If you’re in the Orlando area, you won’t want to miss out on our second year featuring Terri Hawkes – THE VOICE OF SAILOR MOON!
Full details are online at www.FloridaAnime.com.
We’ve posted the complete weekend schedule so you can plan your days at the convention. You can also download the Guidebook App and get the Florida Anime Experience 2012 Con Guide on your phone! Scan the QR Code to download it:
- 9:00 AM Registration Opens Read more
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 24, 2012 | Comments Off on Kids Day’ Activities Highlight Sunday, June 3, At Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con
Face Painting, Superhero Improv, Arts & Crafts, Mascots, ‘Kid-Friendly’ Booths, Passport Program, Costume Contest Lead Special Children’s Programming At Pennsylvania Convention Center; Kids Under 10 Free With Paid Adult
NEW YORK and PHILADELPHIA, May 23, 2012 – Move over, mom and dad. Sunday, June 3, is “Kids Day” at Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, with activities designed especially for children all day (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.) at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Face painting, Superhero-themed panel room programming, an appearance by the Camden Riversharks mascot, the famous Wizard World Kids Passport program, Costume Contest and more are all a part of the fun for the younger ones.
Admission for kids 10 and under is free with a paid adult (two free kids per adult).
Some of the highlights of Kids Day include:
- Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con Passport (all day) – upon arrival, kids should go directly to the Kids Day booth (No. 613) to pick up a Passport, which will guide them to kid-friendly booths, activities, celebrities and artists. Kids who earn stamps at each stop will win a prize. Read more
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 23, 2012 | Comments Off on Horror Realm’s Fall Convention Features Sid Haig, Doug Bradley, Danielle Harris & Mink Stole
Fourth annual fall show returns September 21-23 in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA – May 22, 2012 – Horror Realm, Pittsburgh’s modern horror convention, returns for the fourth time to the Crowne Plaza Pittsburgh South on September 21-23, 2012.
The guest list for the fall show features stars making their first Pittsburgh convention appearance, rare and first time convention guests and returning favorites, including:
- Sid Haig – actor who has appeared in numerous films and television shows. Besides his roles in “Foxy Brown” and “Diamonds Are Forever”, Mr. Haig is familiar to horror fans for his work in Rob Zombie’s “House of 1,000 Corpses” and “The Devil’s Rejects”, as well as the classic film “Spider Baby”.
- Doug Bradley – Mr. Bradley is best known as “Pinhead” from the Clive Barker “Hellraiser” film series as well as “Nightbreed”. He adapts, directs and performs in the “Doug Bradley’s Spine Chillers” series of films and audio books.
- Danielle Harris – Ms. Harris is a film and television actress best known for her roles in the “Halloween” film series. She also voiced the character Debbie in the children’s animated series “The Wild Thornberrys”.
- Mink Stole – Actress and singer Mink Stole is best known for her roles in the films of John Waters, including the dark horror comedy “Serial Mom”. She is also lead singer of Mink Stole and Her Wonderful Band.
- Rochelle Davis – Ms. Davis played the young skateboarder Sarah in the film “The Crow”.
- Day of the Dead stars Lori Cardille, Antone DiLeo, John Amplas, Mark Tierno and first time convention appearances by Bill Laczko and local musicians The Granati Brothers, who played zombies in the film
- Dawn of the Dead stars Ken Foree, Mike Christopher and Randy Kovitz
- Returning fan favorites actress Tiffany Shepis (“Tromeo and Juliet”, “Nightmare Man”, “Frankenstein Syndrome”) and Kyra Schon, who played Karen Cooper in “Night of the Living Dead”
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 22, 2012 | Comments Off on 5 more dates.
Oct 19th-21st, 2012
Fan Days Dallas, TX
Jan 12th, 2013
Kotoricon Sewell, NJ
Jan 25th-27th, 2013
Ganime Gattineau, QB
Feb 8th-10th, 2013
Shevacon Roanoke, VA
March 29th-31st, 2013
Marcon Columbus, OH
Sir Patrick Stewart To Attend 2012 Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con; Five ‘Star Trek’ Captains Appearing Together For First Time
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 21, 2012 | Comments Off on Sir Patrick Stewart To Attend 2012 Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con; Five ‘Star Trek’ Captains Appearing Together For First Time
The below is a press release: Not sure the statement above is true but it’s what Wizard has sent to me.
Celebrated Actor Joins William Shatner, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Scott Bakula At Star-Studded Event Also Featuring Chris Hemsworth, Stan Lee, WWE® Superstar CM Punk™
NEW YORK and PHILADELPHIA, May 19, 2012 – Patrick Stewart, known to millions of fans as “Captain Jean-Luc Picard” on the television series “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” and “Professor Charles Xavier” in the X-Men film series, will attend Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, Stewart and Wizard World, Inc. announced today. He joins William Shatner (“Captain Kirk”), Avery Brooks (“Captain Sisko”),Kate Mulgrew (“Captain Janeway”) andScott Bakula (“Captain Archer”) as captains of their respective series in the iconic franchise who will be special guests at the event, set for Thursday, May 31, through Sunday, June 3 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Stewart will appear at the event on Saturday.
The Emmy-nominated actor, who has performed in more than 100 television and film roles, is one of several actors to appear in all three “X-Men” films: X-Men (2000), X2 (2003) and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006). His role as Picard, which started on “Next Generation,” placed him in four Star Trek films: Generations (1994), First Contact (1996), Insurrection (1998) and Nemesis (2002). He also served as the voice of numerous animated characters in movies like Chicken Little and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, as well as popular TV shows such as “Family Guy” and “American Dad.” Read more
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 21, 2012 | Comments Off on 10 more dates. This ones all anime.
July 20th-22nd, 2012
Nappa Decatour, Al
Aug 31st-sept 3rd, 2012
Animaine Portland, ME
Sept 7th-9th, 2012
Camp Anime Woodstock, CT
Sept 14th-16th, 2012
Aoi Uma Con Louisville, KY
Nov 9th-11th, 2012
Pacific Media Los Angeles, CA
June 28th-30th, 2013
Hetaliacon Indianapolis, IN
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 20, 2012 | Comments Off on Conventions this Weekend May 25th-27th, 2012
Memorial Day is the biggest convention going weekend of the year. Who is going where this year? I’m vending at the American Burlesque & Sideshow Festival right here in Asheville, NC. But if I wasn’t I’d probably be at Alabama Phoenix or Animazement or Timegate . So much good stuff next weekend. Have fun Convention goers!
May 25th-27th, 2012
Alabama Phoenix Birmingham, Al
American Burlesque & Sideshow Festival Asheville, NC
Animazement Raleigh, NC
Anime Oasis Boise, ID
Anime North Toronto, ON
Atlanta Game Fest Atlanta, GA
Balticon Baltimore, MD
Baycon San Francisco, CA
C3 Traverse City, MI
Comicpalooza Houston, TX
Conquest Kansas City, KS
Conduit Salt Lake City, UT
Crypticon Seattle, WA
Fanime San Jose, CA
Florida Anime Orlando, FL
Hickorycon Hickory, NC
Mayhem Orlando, FL
Gamex Los Angeles, CA
Media Westcon Lansing, MI
Miscon Missoula, MT
Oasis Orlando, FL
Parahorror Weekend Buffalo, NY
Phoenix Comic Con Mesa, AZ
Rocket City Furmeet Huntsville, AL
Springtime Retro Computing Expo Clarksville, TN
Supercon Miami, FL (moved to June 29th)
Timegate Atlanta, GA
Ultimacon New Orleans, LA (Cancelled)
UNcon Atlanta, GA
Wiscon Madison, WI
Wonder Northwest Portland, OR
Wonderfest Louisville, KY
World Steam Expo Dearborn, MI
By Petrea Mitchell| May 19, 2012 | Comments Off on UltimaCon cancelled
UltimaCon, which was to have been held in New Orleans May 25-27, has been cancelled after its hotel pulled out for lack of room bookings. While its site has not been updated yet, it announced on Facebook that the convention has been moved to 2013, and pre-registered members should be getting an e-mail in the next day or so regarding their options for refunds or conversion to a 2013 membership.
[Hat tip: Dave Henkin]
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 19, 2012 | Comments Off on Days of the Dead LA
Click Image to make large enough to read the flyer.
Fan Groups Invade Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con – Browncoats and Jedi Knights and Ghostbusters, Oh, My!
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 18, 2012 | Comments Off on Fan Groups Invade Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con – Browncoats and Jedi Knights and Ghostbusters, Oh, My!
More Than 20 Role Playing, Podcaster, Sci Fi, Superhero, Re-Creation Groups Boost Event, May 31 – June 3 at Pennsylvania Convention Center
NEW YORK and PHILADELPHIA, May 17, 2012 – From mainstream franchises like Star Wars and Ghostbusters to cult favorites like “Star Trek” and “Firefly,” fan groups supporting movies and TV shows have become a staple of Wizard World events. More than 20 clubs, podcasters, cosplayers, historical societies and charitable organizations will be on hand at Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, May 31 – June 3 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, interacting with fans and enhancing the atmosphere and attendee experience.
Groups Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con-goers will encounter include:
- 501st Garrison Carida, a chapter of the world’s definitive Imperial costuming organization. No matter where you live, the power of “Vader’s Fist” can be felt through professionally organized charity, fundraising, and promotional events feature the “bad guys” of Star Wars.
- 726th Marine Strike Group, Starfleet Marine Corps, dedicated to the same principles as other members of STARFLEET International (SFI), including community service and charity fund raising, as well as a focus on organizations that associate with or assist military members, veterans and their families. Read more
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 17, 2012 | Comments Off on Pop Art Con News.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Introducing….Pop Art Con
New Artists’ Show featuring Incredible Trading Card and Comic Book Artists Line-Up Harrisburg, PA – May 17, 2012 – The first ever “Pop Art Con” will take place Sunday June 10 at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington (530 West Pennsylvania Ave., Ft. Washington, PA 19034). Pop Art Con is a brand new artists’ show run by Non-Sport Update magazine, promoters of the Philly Non-Sports Card Show, a collectors’ show that has been run continuously since the 1980s
and is currently run twice per year in Allentown, PA.
Pop Art Con will feature the best in trading card and comic book creators. The artist line-up includes: Kate Bradley, Edward Cherniga, Rusty Gilligan, Robert Hack, Meghan Hetrick, Laura Inglis, Gary Kezele, Brian Kong, Jim Kyle, Jerry Ma, Bill McKay, Joseph Miller, Veronica O’Connell, Rhiannon Owens, Sean Pence, David Quiles, Scott Rorie, Tim Shay, and The Sucklord.
At the show, collectors will be able to meet the artists and commission them, as well as purchase sketch cards,
prints, sketchbooks, artists returns and proofs, and more. Many of the artists will be selling exclusive items to the show and giving away original art. A John Carter of Mars card featuring art by master artist Joe Jusko will be available from Non-Sport Update at a special show-reduced introductory price. Read more
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 16, 2012 | Comments Off on Wizard Philly Schedule
Chris Hemsworth, Stan Lee, ‘Star Trek’ Captains Q&A’s, Screenings, Comedy, Evening Parties To Highlight Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con Programming
Packed Schedule Includes 20-Year “Buffyfest” Reunion, Sessions With James Marsters, WWE® Superstar CM Punk™, Costume Contests, Kids’ Activities, Sci-Fi Speed Dating, Jedi Master Classes and More, May 31 – June 3 at Pennsylvania Convention Center
NEW YORK and PHILADELPHIA, May 15, 2012 – Interactive Q&A sessions with top stars like Chris Hemsworth, Stan Lee, William Shatner and three other “Star Trek” captains, WWE® Superstar CM Punk™ and more than a dozen others, movie screenings, evening parties, kids activities, comedy and costume contests are among the wide variety of programming offerings at Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, May 31 – June 3 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Panels are scheduled for all four days, spanning the entire pop culture spectrum.
Highlight programming at Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con includes:
- Individual celebrity Q&A’s featuring Hemsworth, Lee, WWE® Superstar CM Punk™, Sam Witwer, Hayden Panettiere, Bruce Campbell, Jeri Ryan, Dean Cain and more
- Four “Star Trek” captains reunite as Shatner (“Captain Kirk”) Scott Bakula (“Captain Archer”), Avery Brooks (“Captain Sisko”), andKate Mulgrew (“Captain Janeway”) compare stories of their respective times at the command
- James Marsters and Juliet Landau, known to most of the geek world as “Spike” and “Drusilla” from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel,” share the stage in an entertaining discussion of their Joss Whedon experiences and other roles
- The Boondock Saints trio of Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus and David Della Rocco rekindle memories of the popular 1999 cult movie and sequel 10 years later
- Screenings of the 2009 film The Loved Ones and last year’s Lloyd the Conqueror
- Party with fellow Wizard World revelers at the Drink & Draw on Friday at the Convention Center and the GeekNation Launch party at The Field House (1150 Filbert St.)
- Love is in the air with Sci-Fi Speed Dating, for those looking to “Terminate” their single lives
- Kids Day on Sunday, with a full slate of activities specially designed for the youngsters
- Laugh out loud (but hide the kids from this one) when Jackie “The Joke Man” Martling brings his unique brand of comedy – forged by many years on “The Howard Stern Show” and “Jackie’s Joke Hunt” on Sirius XM Radio
- It wouldn’t be Wizard World Comic Con without cosplay and costume contests – adults on Saturday night, kids on Sunday Read more
By Petrea Mitchell| May 16, 2012 | Comments Off on Compressed DUFF race opens
This year’s Down Under Fan Fund is sending a fan from North America to New Zealand and Australia. With the host countries’ national conventions being June 1-4 and June 8-11 respectively, this means the voting period is only 2 weeks long, and concern has led to this unusual statment on the ballot:
The 2012 nominating and voting periods are short. The NA Administrator takes full responsibility and is available for discussion by telephone. The choice “Hold Over Funds” is as always on the ballot; one candidate states he will make that choice and urges others to it: a vote for him will accordingly be treated as a vote to hold over funds. The NA and ANZ Administrators have conferred and agreed that the decision should be made by vote.
More info here, including the ballot. Anyone is eligible to vote, with a minimum donation of $5 US, Canadian, or Australian, or $7 New Zealand. The candidates’ statements are as follows:
- Juanita Coulson: “Have done fanzines, filksinging, pro writing. Happy to make friends and break stereotypes. Now in London, ready for Melbourne. Love to bring back opal. May illustrate own trip report. Taught Devra Langsam to hand-cut mimeo stencils, kept my styli which make nice kitchen tools. Sang at Old Ship Inn after Regency Dancing at Brighton Worldcon; lucky some Scots who’d heard Filthy Pierre in hotel bar sing unwise verse of “God Save the Queen” arrived then and realized no murder needed. Very fond of rum-pots, crack-pots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?”
- Murray Moore: “I agreed to stand for DUFF to create a race. But I now believe that sending a North American delegate elected instead next year will allow the time necessary for those candidates to be known; for the ballot to be distributed and the money raised through voting; and for the host convention, other hosts, and the North American delegate, jointly to plan an itinerary through which delegate and hosts all get the maximum benefit. Therefore my unusual position is that, if elected on this ballot, I will not attend the Australian national SF convention June 8-11 in Melbourne. Furthermore I encourage you to join me in voting for Hold Over Funds on this ballot.”
By Petrea Mitchell| May 16, 2012 | Comments Off on PR: Anime Midwest adds Shinichi “Nabeshin” Watanabe
Anime Midwest 2012, one of the largest up-and-coming anime conventions to happen in the Chicagoland region, is happy to announce their first ever Japanese guest, director Shinichi “Nabeshin” Watanabe, will be appearing at the 2012 Chicago anime con. Nabeshin will participate in Q&A sessions and special screenings, with the help of his translator, in addition to giving out autographs. Anime Midwest will be held at the Wyndham Hotel & Convention Center in Lisle, Illinois from July 6-8, 2012. Registration is only $30 in advance, or $35 at the door for a weekend pass.
By Petrea Mitchell| May 16, 2012 | Comments Off on PR: AniMinneapolis adds Wendy Powell
AniMinneapolis, one of the largest conventions in Minneapolis, is excited to announce that Wendy Powell will be a guest at the 2012 Anime Minneapolis convention. AniMinneapolis will happen June 29 – July 1, 2012 at the Ramada Hotel near the Mall of America. Admission is just $30 online, or $35 at the door, which includes access to free autograph sessions, free soda and snacks, and over 100+ different events.
By Shawn Scott Smith| May 15, 2012 | Comments Off on 10 more conventions!
July 27th-29th, 2012
Pirate Fest Punta Gorda, FL
Aug 4th-5th, 2012
Allentown Comicon Allentown, PA
Aug 10th-12th, 2012
Pirates & Wenches Rock Hall, MD
Nov 2nd-3rd, 2012
Houston Arcade Houston, TX
Nov 16th-18th, 2012
Gobble-con Stamford, CT
Dec 14th-16th, 2012
Holiday Matsuri Orlando, FL
Dec 28th-30th, 2012
Ikkicon Austin, TX
Feb 1st-3rd, 2013
Frankncon El Paso, TX
Feb 8th-10th, 2013
Parapsychic St Augustine, FL
April 19th-21st, 2013